Benefits of Breastfeeding for Mothers and Baby
The art of breastfeeding is always a delight for the new born baby and even for the mother involved. It’s indeed the best thing a mother can do for her new born baby. A baby whose mother died at childbirth suffers malnutrition since the breast milk will not be available. Irrespective of the amount of artificial milk given to the child, he or she may never have normal development without the real breast milk. In this write-up an attempt is made to unravel the rich benefits of breastfeeding both for the child and the mother.
Benefits of Breastfeeding to the Baby
Babies are the major beneficiaries of the richness of the breast milk. Outlined below are the main benefits they gain from breastfeeding.
- The breast milk is a natural and complete nutrition for the baby.
- The art of breastfeeding provides an unbreakable bond between the child and the mother.
- The baby receives adequate nutrients and antibodies necessary for healthy growth through breastfeeding.
- A child that breastfeeds has fewer chances of having diarrhea and other common diseases that plague infants.
- The child is protected against gastroenteritis and other stomach diseases.
- There’s always a reduced risk of constipation when a child breastfeeds.
- Infant diabetes is also minimized or completely avoided when the child is properly fed with the breast milk.
- Respiratory diseases, pneumonia, kidney diseases and other bodily infections are drastically reduced or even avoided when a child breastfeeds.
- A child who is properly breastfed is completely free from Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- Tooth decay and cavities are avoided when a child breastfeeds well.
- The child enjoys proper speech and facial development with proper breastfeeding in place.
- The Intelligent Quotient (IQ) of the child is enhanced as the brain develops through proper breastfeeding.
- Heart disease is reduced or completely avoided through proper breastfeeding.
- Bone formation is enhanced.
- The spiritual and emotional development of the child is also enhanced.
- When a child breastfeeds, the antibody response in his or her body in enhanced.
- The child has fewer chances of being hospitalized all through the infant stage.
- Harmful bacterial infection and other allergic infections are reduced or completely avoided when a child is properly breastfed.
- The risk of Vitamin E deficiency is averted through breastfeeding.
- The risk of Iron deficiency is also averted.
- The risks of Rheumatoid arthritis and cute appendicitis are reduced or completely avoided through breastfeeding.
- The child is also saved from infant obesity when he or she is properly breastfed.
Benefits of Breastfeeding to the Mother
Breastfeeding not only benefits the child, the mother is also involved. She stands the chance of enjoying lots of benefits as outlined below.
- A mother who breastfeeds has less chances of having breast cancer.
- Endometrial and Cervical cancers are also reduced or completely avoided.
- The mother enjoys lesser risk of anemia
- She’s protected against the onslaught of osteoporosis.
- There’s also a reduced risk of Hip fracture in the life of the mother.
- Maternal death is usually reduced or avoided
- Breastfeeding helps the mother to lose some weight gained during pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding also delays the return of the fertility cycle thereby giving adequate space for the next pregnancy.
- Through breastfeeding, the mother’s love for the baby is enhanced. The bond increases beyond measure.
- A mother who breastfeeds the baby well is sure to enjoy the sound health of the baby as well as hers
- Breastfeeding makes the mother to feel good as she gazes at her baby.
- There’s always an increase in the production of hormones all over the body of the mother as she breastfeeds the baby.
- Breastfeeding ensures proper nursing of the child by the mother without must hassles.
- The mother is saved from incessant cries of the baby at night when she breastfeeds the baby well.
- Breastfeeding helps the mother to be well known by the child.
- The joy of motherhood is completely felt by the mother when the breastfeeding session is moving on well.
In all, the benefits of breastfeeding both for the child and the mother cannot be exhausted. The joy the child and mother experience is unquantifiable. This is why it’s very important for the man in the house to make sure the woman has all the necessary support to ensure the breast milk is flowing as expected.