Tips To Teach Kids About Strangers
One of the biggest and the most challenging responsibility of a parent is to teach their children the art of dealing with strangers. You definitely want to protect your child from strangers. This does not include telling them the horrific stories about strangers. You definitely don’t want to terrorize your child about strangers but only want him/her to carry out some security measures when alone. To teach him these security measures, it is important to know about the child’s point of view about strangers. After getting a detailed insight, you can make your child aware of the dangers by strangers.
Explaining the safe child approach:
Instead of horrifying your child, it is more beneficial to let him/her know the guidelines on how to treat a stranger. Some of them are listed below:
- Tell your child that there is no way to know whether a person is good or bad just by looking at him. It may happen that people may pretend to be good.
- Being friendly is a good habit. But being over-friendly can lead to danger at times. You need to tell your child about the possibilities that may result from being over-friendly to strangers.
If your child is alone, teach him to take care of his own. She/he can follow few simple rules listed below to ensure his safety when not with an adult.
- Maintain a proper distance from the stranger. Being too close to a stranger can be dangerous at times.
- The most basic rule is not to talk to strangers. Even if a stranger approaches you, don’t show him/her any friendly gesture which invites him to involve with you any further.
- Strangers may sometime offer you things. They are likely to offer a candy or a chocolate bar. Do not accept anything from a stranger as it may contain unwanted additives to harm you.
- The most important rule is not to go anywhere with a stranger. Children often fall for this rule.
Teaching your child with examples:
This is the best way to teach your child on how to react when a stranger approaches. If you are accompanying your child to a park or any other social place, you can show him how to ignore a stranger. If an irrelevant person approaches you, just excuse yourself politely. Then explain your child that he should do the same in such situations.
A child’s safety is the most important issue for a parent. Teaching your child to properly handle himself outside when alone can be a great milestone in parenting. The methods discussed in the article can be very beneficial for you. Now the next time you tell your child about strangers don’t forget to mention the above rules.