How To Prevent Common Cold In Kids
Common cold is really common among babies especially in this rainy season. If common cold is striking very often to your baby’s respiratory system, it is time you learn some precautionary measures. Most often common cold lasts for only few days, but it can take longer if neglected. By this time you can do lot of things to cure and prevent your baby from having the infection again.
Causes and How Common Cold Spreads in Babies
Common colds are result of viral infections. However, it can be a symptom of some disease also. Most often the symptom that is apparent for common cold is running nose or congestion in the nose of the baby. In small babies, it is more often running nose. The infection could have spread while the baby was playing with an infected baby or has shared his toys, water bags, clothes, foods and any other item. Coughing, sneezing and spitting also accelerate the spreading of the virus.
Symptoms of Common Cold
- Running nose
- Slight fever
- Feeling lazy
- Difficulty in breathing
- Stops playing and breastfeeding
- High breathing rate
Prevention of Common Cold in Babies
- The best way to treat common cold is to take precautionary measures and try to keep it off as far as possible.
- You can take care and avoid contacts of your baby with a person infected with common cold.
- Keep your room warm especially during this rainy season and keep your baby away from any kind of exposure.
- There are some herbal and natural remedies for cold that can be made use of if you see even the initial symptoms of common cold.
- If there is slight fever, it will get subsided as soon as you will keep your baby warm and comfortable.
- Try to give warm fluid to your baby as this will sooth him and help him get rid of the cold also. Liquids not only help relieving congestion, it also helps get rid of the toxins in the body.
- Do not stop breastfeeding your infant. If he feels uncomfortable, feed him at short interval of times.
- Wash your hands and then touch your baby so that there is no further spreading of infection.
- Avoid using the same towel or utensil of the person who is suffering from cold.
- If breathing is uncomfortable for your infant, you can ask your doctor to prescribe some safe saline drops for his stuffy nose.
- Common cold can turn dangerous and cause serious health problem to your infant. So if the symptoms continue or the fever increases, you must consult a doctor immediately.
- Keep a close watch on your baby and monitor whether he is having extreme difficulty in breathing or there is blood in the cough or the fever is increasing. Contact a doctor if any of these symptoms are seen.
Remember, body aches and slight fever is normal in common cold. There is no such remedy for common cold. You simply have to prevent the baby as far as possible. The tips will certainly help you do so. A slight warm oil massage to your infant will help him get relaxed and make him comfortable also. If you wish to give any kind of herbal treatment to your baby, you should consult your doctor first.