Top Seven Eye Health Care Tips
Every day, we expose our eyes to dust, sunlight and other environmental factors which may, over a period of time, affect our vision. Working professionals, in particular, should take extra care to combat the effect of countless hours spent in front of computers. Moreover, associated conditions like headache, concentration problems and vision related learning problems are causes for concern as well. To avoid this, it is important to follow some basic guidelines for maintaining eye health.
Here are the tips for Better Eye health
- Maintaining a nutritious diet program packed with vital fruits and vegetables is a key factor in promoting good eye health. Use foods that have high levels of vitamins A, C and E. Thus, consuming sufficient quantities of carrots, broccoli and other vitamin-rich foods is highly recommended. Apart from this, you can also opt for salmon which has high levels of omega-3 fatty acids - an essential nutrient for maintaining overall eye health.
- Boost your immune system by avoiding adverse lifestyle habits like smoking or alcohol. A major side effect of smoking is that it affects the blood circulation around the eyes. According to experts, frequent smoking is associated with increased incidence of cataract, macular degeneration and optic nerve damage. Although, moderate consumption of alcohol does not affect the health of your eyes, excessive drinking may lead to slow pupil reaction, blurred vision, double vision and reduced color vision.
- Besides improving your overall immune response and diet habits, it is mandatory to go for a comprehensive eye examination. Many times, we are not even aware of any underlying eye condition and may attribute those frequent headaches to overwork or stress. Also, certain eye diseases like diabetic eye disease or age-associated macular degeneration do not have any warning signs and the only way to detect them is by undergoing such eye tests.
- There are certain eye exercises that can help you improve your eye muscles and relieve stress. This is particularly important for those who suffer from eye strain problems associated with long working hours in front of the computer. Computer Vision Syndrome can be treated with the help of simple eye exercises. Start by slowly opening your eyes and then moving them in all directions one at a time. Another technique involves opening your eyes and then looking to the left and up. Hold for two seconds and then close your eyes to relax. This can be repeated by looking to your right-down, right-up and left-down.
- There are certain eye conditions that are hereditary. Thus, knowing your family history of any eye disease or condition is a must to take precautionary measures and improve your eye health.
- While performing any kind of sports activity, make it a point to use protective goggles or eye wear. There are many safety shields and safety glasses that are specially designed to provide protection against any form of sporting activities associated with eye injuries. Also, to protect your eyes from the harmful effect of the sun's ultraviolent radiations, you can use sunglasses and other forms of protective shades.
- Like the rest of your body, it is equally important to give proper rest to your eyes to prevent them from eye strain and fatigue. Refrain from spending unnecessary hours in front of the computer or television screen.
Credit : Dr.Stephen George.
Images : Google Search